Tips and Ideas
Move the Windows Address Book
It is not possible to relocate the default OE Address Book from inside OE, but it
is possible by editing a single key in the Windows registry.
- Close OE, any open message windows, and the Address Book.
- Copy the *.wab file to its new location. If you don't know where your *.wab is
located, open the Address Book and click Help| About Address Book.
- Run "Regedit" and navigate to this key:
\Wab File Name
- Click Registry| Export Registry File and save the selected branch to your
desktop as "WAB.reg". You can then restore the current location simply by
double-clicking the saved WAB.reg file.
- In the right-hand pane, right-click on (Default) and click Modify, then
carefully enter the full path and file name of your relocated *.wab.
- Close Regedit and open Outlook Express.
You may also change the path to the WAB by using a script, or a batch file that
loads a saved registry file (*.reg). This can be very useful to those who frequently
reformat their hard disks or who dual boot. You can download the script "change_wab_path.vb~", but you
must edit it in Notepad before it will do anything at all. Save the file to your
hard disk, then open it in Notepad to read the instructions for use.
Click for more about the WAB in the Files & Settings topic.
Top of page